My Presentation

Transcendental Awesumitude by dospaz at Flickr.com

Creating and Formatting The Blog Post Overview Video

Step 1 – Summary of Project

This is a project where I make a presentation with techniques from Dick Hardt, John Medina, and Garr Reynolds. The project is composed of facts about me such as hobbies and favorite things. The project starts with us brainstorming ideas, then taking those ideas to a storyboard. The storyboard is essentially a blueprint of what the presentation will be, either words or a picture for each slide. The storyboard will help with gathering images and producing the slides. Once the slides have been finished according to what I have planned to do in the storyboard, it is ready to share. This post will take you through the process of brainstorming ideas to the finished product which will be shared later on in the post. It will start with what a good presentation should be, both before and after it is finished. The main point was to see how the multiprocess of a project can help improve the overall product. This project also helped me in understanding time management. I have to finish “this” in “this” amount of time if I want to do “this.” An example of this is the process of brainstorming. The point is to get ideas on something. Any idea will work. You have to brainstorm in order to know what your presentation will include. Once you have the general theme of your ideas, you may continue onto your storyboard. Once you have the outline on a storyboard, you can see what your presentation will look like. All you have to do now is make the presentation on Google Slides.

Step 2 – What is Good Presentation?

Presentation Zen Notes: Zen Harder

Brainstorming: Get your ideas down. It does not matter what it is. Don’t judge your ideas, even if it’s going to be messy. Once you’ve acquired a sufficient amount, try to figure out the theme of your ideas. Once you see a recurring theme, group those ideas together. Then ask yourself: “What is the message that I want to tell through those groups?”

Storyboard: The process of storyboarding is where you put all your ideas into an outline, a type of blueprint. You can outline on paper or online. The process we did in class was on a sheet of printer paper evenly folded four times.

Identify the Core / What’s Important: Free your mind and identify your goal. Pick from the few of ideas from which you brainstormed earlier. To help, get rid of distractions/online world: phones, tablets, computers, etc.

Dakara Nani (So what?): Identify your points and why it matters/is important? Only use the point that will support your central theme, only if it helps your presentation. Random points should be removed.

Stories: Structure; beginning, middle, and end, all interconnected with a core message.

Quality Presentation Notes

Dick Hardt: His presentation was quick and fast-paced. It included some repetition for comedy. This style of presentation is to keep the audience engaged. They want to know what’s next, it’s human nature to want things quickly. Otherwise, we’ll get bored. It included both visuals and texts. The texts are short and to the point, nothing complicated. The visuals are simple as well. For example, if he’s talking about his hometown, the visual is the Google Maps of his hometown. It’s relevant and makes people think. You have to interpret the picture. His fast-paced, and engaging presentation will keep people on their toes.

Creative Commons Notes

Artwork made by anybody is owned by them, even photos. You cannot use them without their permission. However, people do let others use their work. Search engines such as search.creativecommons.org allow people to search for these pictures. We still have to cite the image we use though.

Good Presentation and Good Presenter

Having a good presentation and being a great presenter is a collection of all the things said above. It takes time in order to create a presentation that will ‘wow’ an audience. You have to pick out from the many ideas that you have brainstormed. You have to go through this process. The storyboard comes after brainstorming, this is as crucial to the presentation as the brainstorming process. When you present, you and your presentation have to become one. The quick style of presentation I learned from Dick Hardt is one of the elements to be a good presenter. This will keep the audience engaged, if you are a boring presenter, you might as well be presenting to a wall.

Step 3 – Brain-writing and Brainstorming Ideas

Brainstorming / Brain-writing is essentially a collection of ideas. This is the process of putting all of your ideas onto a piece of paper or online. It does not matter what the ideas are, just get them down. you should not judge any of them. From brainstorming, you can see a repeating them throughout these ideas, then you can start the next process. We brainstorm not just to see what we want to present, but it’s a way to visualize ideas.

Step 4 – Creating the Storyboard

Storyboarding is an outline of our presentation. This is also where the ideas from brainstorming come to life. This specific storyboard is what each slide of our presentation will be. Storyboards are the blueprints to a great presentation. This will also help you visualize the presentation because vision is the strongest sense. Another reason why we storyboard is the storyboard will help in making the presentation by speeding up the process. You have your vision laid out already, all you have to do is follow the storyboard.

Step 5 – Gathering and Citing Images

Copyright is a right given to the owner/creator of a particular piece of work (photos, drawings, artwork, etc). The right is exclusive to the owner. They can reproduce the work, sell their work, and use it as they please. However, other people may not without permission. The Creative Commons is a place where you can find photos and drawings from creators who have let others used their work. You use the Creative Commons to avoid any copyright issues. It’s a safer way to find materials for your presentation. Just because the owners have given you permission to use their picture, does not mean you don’t have to cite. Citing will give credit to the owners. It would also give credibility to you, making you a better presenter.

Step 6 – Creating the Master Slide

The master slide is a setting in Google Slides that will change the format and the style of current and future slides if you do add more slides. In this particular presentation, we used the master slide to change the color of the background and text to black and white, respectively. We also changed how future slides will look. The format we changed it to was having one line of text in the center of the slide. We do this process to speed up the production of the presentation. We can just make a new slide and won’t have to worry about formatting each one.

Step 7 – Building the Slide Show

When building the slides, we try to be as efficient as possible. One example of this is using the shortcut, Command + M (on a Mac) to quickly make a new slide. We start off by writing out the text on each slide, and for pictures, we write: “PICT OF [NOUN].” Writing out the text first will also speed up the process. This is because you are only focused on one thing at a time. You don’t have to go out searching for a picture in the middle of the process. After outlining out the slideshow with text, we have to review the Made to Stick S.U.C.C.E.Ss Model. Reviewing this is crucial because they are aspects of good storytelling. An example of this is “Simple.” Slides only include one word or a small phrase or a picture. Not a mixture of words and a picture. After reviewing the S.U.C.C.E.Ss Model, images can be added to the slides where needed.

Step 8 – Sharing the Slide Show

SlideShare is all about presentations. You can upload presentations from Microsoft’s Powerpoint or Google’s Google Slides, or any other medium. This allows for a larger audience to view the presentation. It will also make it more advantageous because the presentations all shared in one place.

https://www.slideshare.net/NghiaT

Step 9 – Preparing to Present/Pitch

How to Present with Power and Poise

Amy Cuddy – Judgements are based on body language. Body language is very important, it can influence if someone will “like” us and affect our outcome (such as jobs or elections). Non-verbals govern how others see us. Nonverbal body language is key to a great presentation. It will help the audience feel as though you (presenter) know your stuff.

Body language – Spread out, it appears in nature and is universal. It’s what mammals do, it will influence other people because that’s how humans are wired. The spread out expression shows power, pride. However, if we feel small or inferior, our bodies get closer together. Our minds change our bodies.

Testosterone – Dominance hormone. Alpha males of an animal group / powerful people have high testosterone.

Cortisol – Stress hormone, fight or flight. You are not thinking as much, you act. Alpha males/ powerful people have low cortisol.

High power poses (2 minutes)- Raises testosterone. You will also be more of a risk taker. A decrease in cortisol.

Low power poses (2 minutes)- Decreases in testosterone. Not as confident, lower risks. Increase in cortisol (more stress).

Applications of high-power poses – Job applications. Normally, you are sitting down, feeling small. So, go to the bathroom and do a high power pose for two minutes. You will feel more confident. You will look to others as more confident. It shows that you or your ideas or your presentation is on point.

Julian Treasure – What you should not do, people don’t want to listen to a presenter who does these things: Gossip, judging, negativity, complaining (viral and misery), excuses (don’t take responsibility), exaggeration (lying), dogmatism (telling their opinions as a fact).

Four foundations to be powerful | H.A.I.L. – Honesty: Be straightforward, get to your point. Authenticity: Be yourself, don’t try to be someone you’re not because that will always fail. Integrity: Be bold. Love: show compassion, ask your audience some questions to engage them.

You pace, tone, volume, pitch and depth of your voice is a strong tool to improve your presentation. Sound is very powerful. Great audio will engage the audience. Your voice should always be changing to different environments and parts of the presentation.

How I’ve Learned to Present from Experience Over the Years

When I present, there are a couple of ways I prepare. If there is enough time between now and when I present, I don’t need a script. I can memorize the presentation by the use of repetition; going through the presentation until I fully memorize everything. I’m fairly comfortable with presentations because of the many presentations I’ve done for classes over the years, so memorization is the only thing I face each time I have to present. If there is not enough time for me to memorize the presentation, I will write out a script. Once I have everything I want to say down and printed, I will mark on the paper when I have to click to move on to the slide.

Step 10 – What I Learned

In freshman year, I went through this process. The presentations stuck with me until junior year, where I used it to my advantage. I used the fast-paced style of presenting and put my own style onto it. I used more pictures, puns, and unexpected presence to engage the audience with comedy (I got a 4 out of 4 for my presentation in English). I had learned that visuals are a great way to present and getting my ideas down. However, I lacked the process of storyboarding.

Going through this process once again reminded me of how efficient this process was. Storyboarding allowed me to quickly make the presentation. I used to find pictures in the middle of making a presentation, and it took longer to finish one slide compared to writing out the text first. Also, I learned a lot about body language and voice from Amy Cuddy and Julian Treasure. Body language and voice is crucial to improving your presence and shows confidence in your presentation. Julian’s presentation taught me that sounds are equally as important to a great presentation as visuals. Changing the tone, pitch, pace, and volume of your voice throughout the presentation will keep it from being dull and will engage the audience.