Critical Thinking Assignment

CC Image: Perspective by TheGabeC at Flickr

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Explain your response.

“Not only do we tend to think about the world according to what we want to see and what we need to see, we tend to think in terms of what we expect to see.”

A Statement on the Statement

This statement reminds me of a quote from The Sixth Sense:

“Walking around like regular people. They don’t see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don’t know they’re dead.” – Cole Sear

I can relate this back to the statement proposed for this assignment. We only see what we know to be the reality. So what is our reality? Is it what we see through our eyes alone? We can only interpret things that happen around us. We have to see or experience it to know. Or is reality what the world around us and the people around us show? Do we have to live up to the ideals set by those other than ourselves? That is the expectations. At a young age, we’ve been living to expectations: You have to get an A, you have to get into college, etc.. Can it be both?

At first, I would see the ‘want to see’ and ‘expect to see’ as the same thing (see what I did there? And again?). But the more I look into the extent of their differences, I start to realize that ‘want’ is personal and ‘expect’ is universal. ‘Want’ has a fairly negative connotation: I WANT this, I WANT that, I WANT whatever. It’s for selfish gains. ‘Expect’ would fit more people even though the connotation is fairly negative as well. It’s almost shameful or bad if you don’t meet expectations. It’s the standards set by the world and we have to put up against. These may seem similar at first but I see two completely different things. I’ll put it this way: one, you live your life without a care and do whatever you’d like. Two, you always try to fit into the norms or what seems to be right. However, there is an exception. What if the expectations are what someone wants?

To an extent, I disagree with this. People do think what they want to see. However, some others think what they are expected to think. So the statement should be specific to who thinks. The radicals or conformers? But to an extent, I do agree with this statement. There’s a small niche in society where it can be both; the ‘we’ in this statement could be interpreted as something more underground than what it seems to be: everyone. My interpretations of who ‘we’ is could be different from others… so where do I fit?